Open Menu

Yin Liping

2016 (Narrative date)

Yin Liping is a Falun Gong practitioner who was enslaved as a political prisoner in China. She was arrested seven times between 2000 and 2013, tortured, and incarcerated in labour camps, including the Masanjia Labor Camp, during three of her detentions. In August 2013, she escaped from China to Thailand and in 2015 she was granted refugee status in the United States. She told her story at a Congressional hearing on China's use of systematic torture in its detention facilities.

My name is Yin Liping, a Falun Gong practitioner from Liaoning Province, China. First of all, I would like to thank the Members of U.S. Congress for rescuing me to the United States. I arrived on this free land on December 10, 2015.

I was arrested seven times in China, tortured to the verge of death six times, and detained in labor camps three times, where I was made to do slave labor for nine months. I was sexually attacked and humiliated, and videotaped by a group of male prisoners in police custody, all because I refused to give up my faith in Falun Gong.

This is Masanjia Forced Labor Camp, notorious for persecuting Falun Gong practitioners.

In mid-September 2000, Masanjia Director Su Jing addressed an assembly of hundreds of jailed Falun Gong practitioners, “This is a war without gun s. Our government has spent more money persecuting Falun Gong than fighting an international war.” She stressed the “order from the above,” that the “transformation” must be 100%. “Transformation” is their word for forcing Falun Gong practitioners to give up their belief.

I was sent to the clinic of Masanjia due to my hunger strike. I was cuffed to a bed and injected with unknown drugs for over two months. This caused me to temporarily lose my vision. I was also put through involuntary ultrasound, electrocardiogram, and blood tests at a nearby hospital. They injected two or three bottles each day. As a result, I developed endocrine disorders, incontinence, and had blood in my urine. In addition, their frequent violent force-feeding almost suffocated me.

I will never forget the date April 19, 2001. That morning, other 8 practitioners and I were handcuffed by male guards and taken to a police van. The van stopped at a men's labor camp. Later we learned it was Zhangshi Male Forced Labor Camp.

We lined up in the courtyard. A policeman read an official announcement to us, “If a Falun Gong practitioner is beaten to death, the death will count as a suicide.” We were told many times by policemen that this was a direct order from Jiang Zemin, then head of the Chinese Communist Party.

We were taken to nine different rooms. I was sent to the first room. There was a large double bed and a floor hanger in the room. Four men were already in the room waiting. When I went to the public rest room, I saw there was a big room with more than 30 men sleeping there.

I was frightened and wondered what kind of place this was. Who were these men? Why were there so many men sleeping here?

I got the answer that night. Those men all got up, made a lot of noise, banged on doors, and kept on shouting dirty words. They kicked open my room door and held a camcorder, videotaping me. I heard Ms. Zou Guirong's voice from the hallway at about 10 p.m. She kept calling my name, “Liping, Liping, we were sent from a wolf's den to a tiger den. This government is a bunch of gangsters!”

Hearing her miserable cries, I rushed into the hallway and met Ms. Zou there. We held each other tightly no matter how much the men beat us. I desperately wanted to protect her, since she was shorter and thinner than me. The corner of my right eye was swollen from the beating. My clothes were torn off, and I was almost naked. Ms. Zou and I were dragged back to our rooms.

Four or five male inmates threw me onto the bed. Some held my arms. Some held my legs. One younger man sat on me and beat me. I became dizzy and passed out.

When I came to conscience, three men were lying beside me. I realized that I had been videotaped when I was sexually attacked and humiliated by gangsters of inmates. I swore to myself, “If I ever get out of here alive, I will disclose their crimes and bring them to justice. If I die, my soul will never let them off the hook,” because their actions were not human.

I was detained at Liaoyang Forced Labor Camp for nine months from January to September 2000. After three days of forced labor, my hair turned grey. My menstrual period stopped within three months of detention.

I had to load eight tons of steel bars onto trucks in a team of four. I also paved railroads and worked with asbestos and cement bags without a facemask.

In the evening, we were not allowed to rest. We bound flowers until 2 am. My hands were so badly injured that my fingerprints disappeared. My entire body was in so much pain that I couldn't even climb up into bed at night.

We were forced to start working at 5:10 a.m. each day. I often threw up blood from the excessive fatigue. My weight dropped from 75 kg to 60 kg within a few months. I was deprived of sleep for three days and nights for not willing to sign the “Three Statements,” which were vows to give up, “expose,” and criticize Falun Gong. I could only sleep for a few minutes when squatting in the restroom.

This book documents many unbelievable torture methods, particularly sexual abuses and crimes, that Falun Gong practitioners and other prisoners of conscience were put through. Three toothbrushes were tied together, and inserted into and stired up female private parts. I saw with my own eyes a group of bad guys beating an elderly Falun Gong practitioner in the restroom. They forcefully inserted a broken broom stick into her private part.

Among the Falun Gong practitioners whom I know personally, ten were persecuted to death. Thirty developed mental disorders from the torture. Ms. Wang Jie was one of them. She died in my arms on April 21, 2012. This is a photo of Wang Jie.

She was arrested and accused of collecting evidence of the persecution of Falun Gong, and was sentenced to seven years in prison on March 5, 2003. Her case was documented by the United Nations Commission on Human Rights. She contracted bladder cancer as a result of the torture she suffered in the 7-year jail term. The day before she died, it was her daughter's birthday. Her sister kept calling her and saying, “Wang Jie, please don't die today. It is your daughter's birthday. How can she live on if you die today?” I don't know if it was heaven’s will or hers, but she died around 9 a.m. the next morning in my arms.

Wang Jie, Zou Guirong, and I had gone through brutal and evil persecution. We promised one another that any one of us who survives will expose the persecution to the world. Today I’m speaking up for them, the forever voiceless victims. Thank you for this opportunity to stand before and testify at the U.S. Congress and the Congressional-Executive Committee on China.

As told to the Congressional-Executive Commission on China, hearing on “China’s Pervasive Use of Torture” April 14, 2016